Sunday, November 01, 2009

The November 15 List

I think I've referred a few times to the "November 15 list" recently. It's become a part of my daily vocabulary & so I thought I'd share what I'm talking about.

As most of you know, K & I work in retail. Starting about now, things at works start to get a little crazy.  (Well, technically, my whole year has been crazy - but that was just a warm up)  As more people shop for the holidays, the systems we own start to be stretched & anything that can go wrong will. This is bad, because we want to make the best impression possible for all of those lovely shoppers who are helping America out of our recession.

All of this adds up to general craziness. Things get worse (as you'd imagine) after Thanksgiving & keep going until the week or so before Christmas. We've spent the past six weeks at work talking about how to be ready for this time of year, what we refer to as "Q4". (dun dun duh!!!!)

Since this is a notoriously busy time of year, we try to keep our personal lives as calm as possible about now. This isn't just a goal, it's a way of life. We take this so seriously that within the first hour of being engaged, the first thing I knew about our wedding was that we were not getting married anywhere close to Q4.  We chose our late March date so that there would be plenty of time to plan before Q4 & after Q4, so I wouldn't feel pressured to plan during Q4.

Which brings me to the Nov. 15 list....

There's a lot to be done left with the wedding. We're getting to the point where we're deciding on details and need to make progress on a lot of our DIY items.  So, we made a list of things that need to be done by November 15 (as close to Thanksgiving as I want to get).  I'm sure I'll keep working on wedding stuff throughout the year, and I have lots of things left to tell you about. Having the deadline is helping me focus, though, since the wedding still feels so far away.

Anyway, here is the list (Items that are crossed out are done. Items in italics are in progress.):
- cake figured out
- centerpieces figured out (watch out for an upcoming post on this)
- invitations designed
- talk to my brother about music (he's playing during the ceremony)
- rehersal lunch set up (oh! I should talk about that sometime)
- rehersal invitations designed
- send a Save the Date to our officiant (who's living in Zurich)
- meet with jeweler regarding K's ring (that's another blog post too!)
- make our hotel reservations for the wedding weekend
- get the group rate for the hotel near our house in Sumner
- move K's money from one account to another
- favors designed & ordered (I'm going to keep those a secret until the wedding)
- honeymoon squared away
- meet with our day-of-coordinator (Wendy)
- figure out what the guys are going to wear for shoes
- meet with the tux guy to finalize ties & shoes & shirt (we may order a custom shirt for K)
- order guys' ties
- update wedding website with updated travel info

Whew!  That's a lot to do in the next 15 days! It also gave me a lot of ideas about what to post about in the next few weeks. :-)

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Is there anything else you'd like to hear more about?

No comments: