Saturday, November 07, 2009

You are cordially invited....

Part of our November 15 list is to have the invitations completely designed. Since we did the Save the Dates together, we're planning on doing the invitations as well. I want to get them done early in case I do the same about face I did with the Save the Dates & get the urge to completely redesign them after I think they're done. :-)

I've been having fun, playing with paper and colors and postcards and pictures and all kinds of lovely things.  The place I've gotten stuck, though, is the wording.  Who knew there were so many ways to say "please come to our wedding"? I know I want to start with:

Together with their parents
M's full name & K's full name

And this is where I get stuck. I could do something really formal like:

request that you honor us with your presence
or
  invite you to join us as we are wed
or
ask that you join us

Then, there is the question of how to say "when we're married".  There are so many ways to say it!  And some of them sound so hokey:
as we become one
or
as we are married
or
as we exchange our wedding vows
or
as we are joined in marriage
or
as we are united in marriage

Sigh...I don't like any of them.  I'm also trying to include our "celebration of love, laughter, family & friendship" tagline into the invitation.  So, I'm playing with things like this:
Together with their parents
M & K
invite you to join us 
as we are married at a celebration
of love, laughter, family and friedship

or
Together with their parents
M & K
invite you to a celebration of
love, laughter, family and friendship
as they are married

 

The "as they are married" part sounds dorky to me, though. Although, at this point, I'm frustrated enough that I'm tempted to say:
Yo, M & K are getting married
You should come
It'll be a big party


And then I wonder if anyone will actually read those words anyway, or will they skim them to get to the good part that has the date & time & stuff on it?

What do you think? Anyone have any recommendations for less hokey wording?

1 comment:

eklay said...

My version:

M and K
with their happy parents
invite you to our wedding
where we will celebrate love, laughter, family, and friendship