Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's a party!

I started to write about the bridesmaid dresses I chose today and then realized that if I didn't tell you about our wedding party, it would be rather confusing. So, I'm saving the dresses for another day (just wait - I have a *great* title for that one) and instead talking a bit about our party.

You can read more about each individual on our website in their blurbs, but I wanted to talk about one slightly unconventional decision K & I made.

We each have a very good friend of the opposite gender that we wanted to stand up for us. Typically, I see people switching friends or siblings around so that each side is all one gender. Instead, K & I each asked one friend of the opposite gender to stand up for us.

That means I don't have a group of bridesmaids; I have a bridal party. My bridesman, BM M, and I have known each other for years; I love that he'll be standing on my side for the wedding. K has a grooms' party with his groomswoman, GW C. They've also known each other forever and she was really touched when he asked her (she started crying, although that may have been from relief that he wasn't asking her to cater).

The situation has led to some interesting conversations - trying to picture BM M in the bridesmaid dresses, for example, has cracked us all up. He also didn't have much feedback on the links to wedding dresses that I sent out.
I'm confident the bachelor & bachelorette parties won't be uncomfortable - neither one of us is really into the explicit stuff that can go with those parties.

Figuring out what they'll wear has been the most difficult. I want them to fit into the party on the side that they're on & not look like people switched places, so we're still working on it. Are there any other things we may have to handle differently?

4 comments:

BM M said...

Heh. I've got letters now. :) And I'd love to read more about me ... if I knew where the website was!

You're right, I don't have much to offer on dresses. I'll squeeze into whatever you ask of me, and even shave my legs - that's the kind of friends we are.

(For the record, I did pass the dress info on to my wife, um, BMMWC?, for comment.)

And wouldn't it be hilarious if we entered, stood on the wrong sides, and then acted all surprised and switched! That would be great. Not that I'd dream of pulling a stunt on the big day.

eklay said...

I think that this is great! Friends are are great to have and include in your special day.

MA has the side with blue and KK has the side with orange - right? And then afterward, everyone is purple (blue + orange = purple)

ays said...

The website is up? I didn't know that either. Yeah, I want to know what you eventually pieced together with the string of consciousness I sent you.

Along with BM M's idea... I don't think we suddenly act all surprised and switch. I say we play musical chairs throughout the ceremony. :P

Oh, and the guys carry the bouquets and the girls wear boutonnieres. :P

Anonymous said...

I really like BM M's idea of the surprised switch. LOL. From GW C.