Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Loco for Logos

I've talked some about the decisions that we're making right now, and I thought it might be fun to go back over the decisions that we've made. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the bridesmaid dress post I promised earlier (I know you're all on pins & needles). I realized, though, that going in chronological order probably makes more sense.

After K proposed, I started reading wedding blogs. I'm not sure how I found my first one, but (as you can see to the right) I've built up a list of blogs I try to read on a daily basis. When I started reading, I knew that we'd need colors, but I started reading about "inspiration boards" and "monograms" and all of these other things that I had no idea existed.

One that really struck a cord with me was the idea of
a logo. I liked the concept of having a graphic that would be consistent throughout the wedding, essentially a unifying theme we could use wherever we felt necessary.

One of the blogs led me to iStockPhoto.com a site that allows you to buy the rights to graphics and use them as you see fit. K & I searched through a lot of pictures and ended up buying three different ones to play with:


I really liked this one. The sailboat is great since K sails & we've spent so much time together on the boat. I also liked the idea of taking the waves and using them in different places as a graphical element on their own. I could envision these waves going across the bottom of our menus & programs, for example.


We thought one of these would be great too. It was a lot closer to the idea of a logo we could use different places. Plus, the combination of the heart and the tree really stuck with us. We liked the idea of building a family represented by the tree and the heart in the middle of it.


This is the graphic we ended up choosing as our logo (in case you didn't guess from the header). It has the symbolism of the tree and heart that I talked about earlier, plus you can also think about it as two families coming together where the shadow joins the main tree.

It turns out the tree has been really inspirational. Instead of thinking about how to "fit it in", I've found that things (like our Save the Dates) looked like they were missing something when the tree didn't take a prominent position. We spent a long time working on the header for our website (which I also used for this blog) and we finally found the right one once we started with the tree.

When we first bought the tree, we thought we'd be making some changes to it to incorporate our names & colors more. Next time, I'll show you what we played with before ending up with the header you see now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]das wetter heute[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]5 tage wetter[b][/url]